[vetsinag] Spring 2020 Wild Roots Farm Vermont

Jon Turner wildrootsfarmvt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 08:33:07 MST 2020

Hey Everyone,

Happy Winter, I hope that you all have been enjoying the new year so far.
    As Spring is closer on the horizon, I wanted to take a moment to share
a few items that may be of interest to you or your networks on the
agricultural or veteran front.

First and foremost, the 38th NOFA-VT Winter Conference is this weekend,
February 15-17, which we will be presenting at on Saturday in a session
titled Home-scale Agroforestry.   There is a good line up of speakers and
workshops so if you are in the Burlington area, please visit the event.
More details here at       https://nofavt.org/conference

* Sunday February 16, the annual Spirit in Nature Award is being presented
at the Ilsley Public Library in Middlebury to a Middlebury student that has
done exceptional work within the environment and community.  This is
happening at 2pm in the community room

* Saturday March 7, the 8th annual Veterans Summit will be taking place in
the Grand Maple Ballroom, Davis Center, UVM Campus.  This event is a
wonderful resource for veterans, service members, service organizations and
family members. More details here at
https://www.northernvermont.edu/veterans-summit

*  March 28-29, our annual Spring Homestead Weekend is taking place and is
co-sponsored by Rural Vermont and ACORN.
Saturday 3/28 will include demos and discussions on grafting, pruning,
plant propagation, bio-char, soil building and agroforestry systems , as
well as a scion swap (so bring some cuttings to share). Sunday 3/29 will be
the process and policy of an on-farm slaughter. Please note that this
portion will include the processing of two animals which were rotationally
grazed and raised happily on pasture for the duration of their life.   More
details on this day here at
https://www.ruralvermont.org/events/2020/3/29/on-farm-slaughter-workshop-with-mary-lake

The event will run from 930-300 both days and include a dutch oven
potluck.  Check back in after this weekend for more details on the whole
event at        www.wildrootsfarmvermont.com

*  There are a few other happenings in the pipeline right now for April
that include a presentation and tree planting by this semesters Rubenstein
students we have been working with, as well as the formation of a
traditional Abenaki garden with heirloom seeds that were gifted to our
farm.      More details to follow.

Lastly, Morgan Beckwith from Icehouse Farm in Ripton, has revamped our
brand with a new logo that we are very excited about.    We will have farm
schwag available for our homestead weekend (hats, beanies, shirts).

Be well and warm this weekend. We hope to see you on the farm or in the
wilderness.

Jon

-------
Jon Turner