[montanafood_ag] Fall is in the air at HCG!

Helena Community Gardens helenacommunitygardens at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:47:41 MDT 2016

News and Info from Helena Community Gardens
View this email in your browser (http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=157188472b&e=c68c994898)
http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=c800884d02&e=c68c994898
406-438-6049
helenacommunitygardens at gmail.com (mailto:helenacommunitygardens at gmail.com)
PO BOX 1222 Helena, MT 59624

** Helena Community Gardens
September 8 Newsletter

** HELP THE GARDENS
You can help us make Helena Community Gardens Grow; all it takes is a small donation.

DONATE NOW (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=50c3fff2d8&e=c68c994898)

** HCG ELSEWHERE

http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=08761f657b&e=c68c994898 F O L L O W on F A C E B O O K (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=040f03fca5&e=c68c994898)
http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=cf438084e3&e=c68c994898 Website (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=2c4159ea44&e=c68c994898)
mailto:helenacommunitygardens at gmail.com Email (mailto:helenacommunitygardens at gmail.com)

** Bring the kids to this fun event!

**

** Wanted:  A Cider Press to Borrow!

**
We've had several calls and messages looking for a press to borrow.  It must be a great year for apples or something!  Anyone out there have one?

** Montana Farm to School Summit!
Register SOON!

**

Don’t miss out on the
Montana Farm to School Summit: Sprouting Success
to be held on September 22-23, 2016 at Montana State University in Bozeman. Registration closes on September 9.
Learn and share how Montana schools and programs are sprouting success through the core elements of farm to school--serving local foods, school gardens, and nutrition, agriculture, and food education. Workshops, field trips, and networking opportunities will provide inspiration and skill building.

The two-day conference features Chef Ann Cooper, a nationally renowned advocate for improving school meals, as well as Montana farm to school champions who will share their stories and experiences. Continuing education units are available (up to 11 hours for OPI credits).

Register online at: http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=2ecee9c6e1&e=c68c994898

For more information contact: Aubree Roth, Montana Farm to School Coordinator at aubree.roth at montana.edu (mailto:aubree.roth at montana.edu)  or (406) 994-5996 (tel:%28406%29%20994-5996) .

**

** Garden Questionnaire
HCG occasionally puts out a survey to determine if there are super successes, or glaring errors in the organization (so far, no errors! Hooray!)
If you had a garden plot this year (or in years past) please click on this link to fill out a simple questionnaire.  We love feedback!  Especially the good kind!
Link to survey (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=e3bd1a3f9a&e=c68c994898 you have any questions about Helena Community Gardens? Would you like to be more involved or learn more about the board, events, or volunteering?)

** How is your Garden Growing: Featuring Cruse Overlook
Thank you for the photos Les Clark!

** Helena Food Collaborative:
Free Community Dinner!
Helena Community Gardens has partnered with several local organizations to put on a free community dinner highlighting local foods.  Please see the flyer below!
We are looking for donations of extra produce from your garden in order to fill out the menu!  Apples, potatoes, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce....anything is welcome!
Please respond by September 16th if you have something to give!

** Feeding your neighbors

HCG has donated 445 lbs of produce to Helena Food Share so far this year!

And Waukesha has donated 300 lbs alone!  (Thank you Jannis for the update!)

This could not have happened without volunteers, so give yourselves a pat on the back and recognize how important you are to community members who use those healthy vegetables.

f you are donating produce, please identify yourself from HCG and get a receipt to return to your garden manager.  This way we can continue to keep track of donations.
A reminder, HFS has an outdoor sink and if you are unable to rinse and clean your produce at the garden, you can use the sink out back!

** Organic Tomatoes, Peppers
and Salsa Fixings coming your way!

Harlequin Produce of Arlee will have certified organic field grown and vine ripened tomatoes, a limited amount of #2 Red Bell Peppers, Jalepeno Peppers and Salsa fixings for pick-up in Helena, Friday September 16.

The tomatoes are "#1 Grade" and can be eaten or canned.

ITEMS AVAILABLE TO ORDER
* 20 lbs of organic red tomatoes -- $30
* Each Additional case of tomatoes  - $25
* Salsa fixings: Jalapeños, Poblanos, Anaheim peppers, garlic and 2 lbs onions -- $10
* #2 Red Bell Peppers - 5 pounds for $10
* Jalepenos - 5 pounds for $10

To place an order, please email Kaly at Harlequin Produce, harlequin.produce at gmail.com (mailto:harlequin.produce at gmail.com)   (mailto:harlequin.produce at gmail.com)
or call 406-459-7217 (tel:406-459-7217) .

Please place your order by 7 pm. Wednesday September 14!

Pick-Up:
When: Friday September 16, 4:30-6:00 pm
Where: 541 S. Davis, Helena at Janet Hess-Herbert's House Please forward this to friends!

A letter from Montana Migrant and Seasonal Farmworkers Council

Hello,
I am with Ag Worker Health & Services, a private nonprofit that provides basic clinical services to agricultural workers and their families in MT, WY, and ND. Every now and again, we send out surveys to people who qualify for our services who haven't registered with us. We want to know what we can do to help more people get health care in this vulnerable population.
I can send a document that contains more information about who we are and what we do in tandem with our survey. If you employ, know, or are yourself an agricultural worker, please consider contacting me and distributing this survey. In addition to making sure we can plan to meet the needs of more people, these surveys help us write grants to keep the lights on.

Even if you are unable to fill out a survey, I would be more than happy to receive advice on whom I could contact to help this survey get into more hands.
When completed, we would ideally either like to receive these surveys by email, fax, or mailing it to the address at the top of the page.

Thank you for everything you do, guys.
Let's keep making Montana a better place for everyone!  Contact me below for the survey.

-Laurissa Herbert
Medical Interpreter/Translator
(lherbert at mtmigrantcouncil.org (mailto:lherbert at mtmigrantcouncil.org) )
Montana Migrant & Seasonal Farmworker Council, Inc.
3318 3rd Avenue North, Suite 200
Billings, MT, 59101
Call us at:(406)248-3149 (tel:%28406%29248-3149)  or 1-800-813-4492 (tel:1-800-813-4492)
Fax: (406)245-6636 (tel:%28406%29245-6636)

** Ongoing:  HCG Outreach and Education Events 2016
Saturday, September 17   10am-12pm
Food Preservation Demo:
Canning, Freezing, Dehydrating
Lewis & Clark Co Extension Office (Fairgrounds)

Saturday, September 24   10am-12pm
Finding Rainbows in the Garden, for Kids:
Harvest the spectrum of veggie colors & flavors
North Valley Co-Op CSA
___________________________
Saturday, October 8   10am-12pm
Lacto Fermentation Workshop
Registration required
Plymouth Church, 400 S Oakes St.

Copyright © *|2016|* *|Helena Community Gardens|*, All rights reserved.
*|406-438-6049|* *|helenacommunitygardens at gmail.com|*

Our mailing address is:
PO BOX 1222 Helena, MT 59624

You can ** update your preferences (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/profile?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=3584c6606e&e=c68c994898)

Your privacy is extremely important to us, and we'll do everything we can to protect it. HCG maintains an opt-in policy for its email communications. That means we only want to send mail to individuals who have requested these mailings be sent to them.
Your right to control what mailings, if any, you receive from HCG is important to us. Though we may include announcements from partners or other third parties in some mailings, these messages will come directly from us and we will not share, sell, or rent your email address with anyone.

This email was sent to montanafood_ag at lists.ncat.org (mailto:montanafood_ag at lists.ncat.org)
why did I get this? (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage1.com/about?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=3584c6606e&e=c68c994898&c=157188472b)     unsubscribe from this list (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=3584c6606e&e=c68c994898&c=157188472b)     update subscription preferences (http://helenagardens.us4.list-manage.com/profile?u=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&id=3584c6606e&e=c68c994898)
Helena Community Gardens . PO Box 1222 . Helena, MT 59624 . USA

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=3360ec23368a138bea764d654&afl=1