[montanafood_ag] FW: Grow Food, Build Community, Earn Credit

Hassanein, Neva Neva.Hassanein at mso.umt.edu
Fri Mar 18 09:20:49 MDT 2016

Program in Ecological Agriculture and Society (PEAS) Farming Internship: Grow Food with a Purpose for College Credit

Earn 6 credits this summer learning and working on the PEAS Farm in Missoula, Montana! You will get your hands dirty on our 10-acre vegetable farm, sowing seeds, transplanting, irrigating, and harvesting. We custom grow tens-of-thousands of pounds of produce for our 100-member CSA, the Missoula Food Bank, the WIC program, and a mobile market for seniors.
 As a PEAS student you will learn about  propagation in the greenhouse, season extension, transplanting, direct seeding, farm planning, use of cover crops, harvest and post-harvest care of a diversity of vegetable crops, drip- and overhead-irrigation, tractor implements, hand and mechanical cultivation, composting, weeds and pests, CSA management and distribution, orchard care, and more. You will also learn to cook for the class and to collaborate with many other Missoula community groups. Most importantly, you will help form a lasting community that will make the farm go.
 Class Dates:
May 18 to August 29—and all students also get two weeks off during the summer to explore the beautiful state of Montana. You pick the weeks you need!
Weekly Schedule:

·         Monday-Thursday the days run from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, then we eat lunch together, from the food we’ve been growing (we take turns cooking, in pairs).

·         On Fridays we have a sit-down class and then go on a field trip to farm in the area.
For applicants not enrolled at University of Montana:

·         Registration information<http://www.umt.edu/summer/studentinfo.php> (click on “Summer Semester 2016 Only Admission Status”)

·         Description of PEAS<http://cas.umt.edu/evst/graduate/focus-areas/food-farming.php> (scroll down to the PEAS farm internship section)

·         For any questions about housing, credits, curriculum, or arrival/departure dates don’t hesitate to contact Joshua.slotnick at umontana.edu<mailto:Joshua.slotnick at umontana.edu>
Current UM Students: