[montanafood_ag] Farm to School is headed for the House Floor!

Stephanie Potts stephaniep at ncat.org
Fri Mar 8 14:45:13 MST 2013

Greetings friends,

Thank you to everyone who wrote, called or testified in support of HB-471 , a bill to support Farm to School programs in Montana.

Thanks to you, HB-471 passed the House Agriculture Committee yesterday, with a vote of 13-4!

Now, the Farm to School bill is headed to the House Floor, wh ere the House of Representatives might vote on it as early as Tuesday .

Can you take a minute to call or e-mail your Representative and ask them to SUPPORT FARM TO SCHOOL and vote YES on HB-471?

It is easy to contact Representatives:
1) Call (406) 444-4800 to leave a message for legislators.
2) Send a written message using this online form .

Click here to find any Montana State Representatives using zip codes, or click here to find your representative using a map.

Ask them to support the Farm to School bill, HB-471

Tell them:
Farm to School helps Farmers, Ranchers, and Businesses.
· Farm to school efforts are good for Montana’s farmers, ranchers, processors, and distributors. Montana’s public K-12 schools spend approximately $19 million annually on food products and this represents a significant and consistent market for Montana’s agricultural producers.
· When Montana producers can sell Montana beef, lentils, wheat, cherries, melons, and other foods to Montana schools, everyone wins.
· The grant program is a smart investment because it will help establish strong relationships between school districts and local producers that will continue even after the grant period has ended.

Farm to School keeps money in our communities.
· The grant funding provided by this bill will allow schools to spend more of their total food budget on Montana-produced foods, keeping money our state.
· Farm to school programs are good for farmers and ranchers, but they also benefit local food processors, distributors, and packers. One study estimated that every dollar invested in Farm to School led to an additional $2.16 in local economic activity.

Farm to School is good for kids
· Every day, 80,000 Montana public school students participate in the school lunch program.
· On average, school food service directors have about one dollar per day, per student to spend on food--This grant program would provide food service directors with the funding boost they need to bring more fresh, Montana-made food into their lunchrooms.
· Farm to School projects have been shown to improve student nutrition and knowledge about food and agriculture. They increase the amount and variety of food available to students, help teach students to try new foods, and increase overall participation in the school lunch program.

Thank you for making your voice heard! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions about HB-471 or need any other information.

Have a wonderful day,

Stephanie Laporte Potts
Coordinator, Grow Montana

P.S. Please consider contributing to Grow Montana’s efforts to build a more robust and vibrant Montana food system during the legislative session and beyond. We still have $2,000 left to reach our legislative action goal. Can you help us get there, and make bills like HB-471 a reality? --

Stephanie Laporte Potts
Grow Montana Coordinator
stephaniep at ncat.org
734.476.7353