[montanafood_ag] Farm to Cafeteria Network monthly update

Nancy Moore nancym at ncat.org
Wed Jul 3 14:49:55 MDT 2013

Hi everyone, and happy early 4th of July!

We have a handful of announcements this month from Farm to Cafeteria Network, a program of the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT)...

1.) YOUTH SUMMIT October 6-8 in Missoula Please note the new date of Farm to Cafeteria Network's Youth Summit! The event is open to 150 high school students and educators and will focus on strengthening young people’s capacity to educate and organize their peers around sustainable food, healthy living, and vibrant community systems . We have several exciting tours, guests, and delicious meals lined up, so stay tuned for registration details. More info is available on our website: http://farmtocafeteria.ncat.org/growing-leaders/ and the attached flyers.
*OPI renewal credits will be available for teachers who attend

2.) July Homegrown Profile: Beef to School Gaining Traction in Montana This month's profile describes the various models Montana schools are using to procure and serve local beef in their schools, including direct purchasing from ranchers, purchasing from local meat processors, and purchasing for special events and school summer feeding programs. Did you know? Montana is home to 2.5 million cattle and calves. That means there are more than twice as many cows as people living in Montana. With so many prime ribs and rump roasts roaming our pastures, why are the majority of Montanans consuming beef that is finished and processed out of state? Read more here: http://farmtocafeteria.ncat.org/

3.) July 31st : Montana Beef to School Coalition Meeting in Butte On Wednesday, July 31st from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m the Montana Beef to School Coalition will have its first in-person meeting at the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) in Butte. Organized by FoodCorps Montana, Farm to Cafeteria Network, and Montana Team Nutrition, the meeting will include presentations and discussions about the economics of MT beef to school, successful local beef models in schools, the school buying program, projects for the coalition in the coming school year, and more. We'll conclude the day with a tour of Ranchland Packing Co., Butte's meat processing facility.
If you are a rancher, meat processor, food service director, educator, or community member interested in participating in this meeting, join us! Please RSVP here by July 30. * There is no charge to attend , but please bring $8 cash for a group lunch.

4.) Millen nials Making Change On June 20, the Alternative Energy Resources Organization (AERO) featured Farm to Cafeteria Network and its Growing Leaders program on Montana Public Radio. In case you missed the live version, you can read the June commentary here about how Montana's young people are getting involve d in the local food movement.

5.) July 26th: 4% Day at the Bozeman Community Food Co-op Benefits Youth Summit If you live in the Bozeman area, save your grocery shopping for July 26! (okay, you can shop a little before then too...) The Bozeman Community Food Co-op will be donating 4% of sales that day to Farm to Cafeteria Network's Youth Summit. Come out and support local food in a big way!

Thanks for your interest in our work and have a great holiday,
-Nancy Moore

Developed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT), Farm to Cafeteria Network is a group of Montana food producers, processors, food service professionals, and community members who collaborate to share best practices and resources about Farm to Cafeteria Programs across the state.
National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT)
Farm to Cafeteria Network Coordinator
3040 Continental Drive, Butte MT 59701
(406) 533-6648
www.farmtocafeteria.ncat.org