[montanafood_ag] April update: events, spotlight on Red Lodge, and more!

Nancy Moore nancym at ncat.org
Mon Apr 8 08:37:24 MDT 2013

Hi everyone,
A few bits of news from Farm to Cafeteria Network, a program of NCAT...
1.) Producer Survey Thanks to the 46 Montana food businesses (farmers, ranchers, distributors, and processors) who filled out the Producer Survey we put together with AERO and MSU Extension. The information is being compiled into an easy-to-use, searchable database that will be available on our website in a few weeks. We'll let you know once it's ready so you can search for local food producers interested in selling to institutions near you. Are ou a producer who missed the boat? That's okay, you'll still be able to send us your info and get on the database once it's put together.

2.) Calendar of Events As the growing season draws ever near, our calendar of events is starting to fill out! For a look at Farm to Cafeteria related events, including a webinar TOMORROW, April 9 about local beef in schools, and a Ken Meter visit to Red Lodge this Friday, April 12, visit our calendar: http://farmtocafeteria.ncat.org/?page_id=559 As always, we welcome folks to submit their events- large and small- so we can help get the word out!

3.) April Homegrown Profile: "Red Lodge Embraces Civic Agriculture" Check out this month's spotlight on Red Lodge's community group, Red Lodge Area Food Partnership Council, and their work with FoodCorps to create awareness and action about local food in their area. Read on for details about their important and inspiring work: http://farmtocafeteria.ncat.org/

4.) Youth Leadership Retreat: Sponsors and Participants
The April 27-28 Youth Leadership Retreat is getting closer! We'd like to send a BIG THANKS to Montana businesses supporting the event : Hennessy Market in Butte; Wheat Montana in Three Forks; Real Food Market and Deli in Helena, Good Food Store in Missoula, Community Food Co-op in Bozeman, and Great Harvest Bread Co. in Butte. We appreciate your support!
29 high schoolers from the following schools and organizations are registered to attend the Youth Leadership R etreat :
Big Fork HS
Bridger Alternative HS, Bozeman
Community Cooking Connections (Bitterroot Valley students)
Ennis HS
Flathead HS, Kalispell
Glacier HS, Kalispell
Hellgate HS, Missoula
Montana Academy, near Kalispell
Mount Ellis Academy, Bozeman
Polson HS
Willard HS, Missoula
Youth Harvest, Garden City Harvest in Missoula

We're excited to report back in May on our young people's achievements and ideas for the future of food and ag in Montana!

Finally, don't forget to join us on Facebook if you're interested in being connected with the Farm to Cafeteria Network more frequently:
https://www.facebook.com/FarmToCafeteriaNetwork

Have a fabulous week!
Nancy Moore

Farm to Cafeteria Network Coordinator