[montanafood_ag] Protect Farm Bill Conservation Programs

Kevin Moore kmoore at aeromt.org
Wed Apr 3 13:54:40 MDT 2013

Hello,

Farmers and the environment both benefit from federal conservation programs.
Farmers count on them to conserve soil for future generations, keep water
and air clean, and create habitat for wildlife - all while farming
profitably.  As one farmer who uses the Conservation Stewardship Program
(CSP) put it to us: "CSP is a great program for farmers to not only be given
credit for what they're doing, but to give them the incentive to do better."

In the short-sighted budget-cutting frenzy of the last two years, Congress
slashed conservation programs by over $1.5 billion!  Right now, your
legislators are making decisions about next year's agriculture budget -
including conservation - and they need to hear from you!

Your action today will protect crucial conservation funding that supports
cleaner waterways, habitat for wildlife, and farms that are more sustainable
over the long term.

Can we count on you to make a call today?

It takes just a moment - please call Senator Jon Tester's office at (202)
224-2644, ask to speak with his agriculture appropriations aide, and share a
message like this one:

"I am a constituent and a voter.  (Let them know if you're a farmer, too!)
Please thank Senator Tester for his past efforts to protect Farm Bill
conservation programs from cuts.  Ask him to oppose further cuts in Fiscal
Year 2014, and to not limit mandatory funding for Farm Bill conservation
programs.  We must protect our natural resources and reward farmers for the
environmental benefits they produce - please oppose any further cuts to the
Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP), Environmental Quality Incentives
Program, and other Farm Bill conservation programs."

Stay tuned for more opportunities for action - it's going to take all of us
speaking out loud and clear for sustainable agriculture in the weeks to
come.

Thank you for your time,

The AERO Team

PS: Looking for more details about mandatory conservation program spending?
Click
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/5735/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?co
ntent_item_KEY=9773> HERE.