[montanafood_ag] Agriculture Update: Drought assistance

Senator Jon Tester senator at tester.senate.gov
Thu Jul 26 15:08:40 MDT 2012

26

JUL 12

Agriculture Update: Drought assistance

In the face of historic drought across Montana and the West, I want you to know that I am working to secure emergency assistance for Montana farmers and ranchers. In the Senate, I'm fighting for Montana producers and working to cut red tape at the Department of Agriculture.

First, I've introduced a bill that would bring back four critical disaster assistance programs that expired in September.

Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE) program, which provides disaster assistance for farmers affected by severe weather and drought
Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP), which compensates ranchers for livestock mortality caused by disasters
Livestock Forage Program (LFP), which assists ranchers who graze livestock on qualifying drought- or fire-affected pasture land
Emergency Livestock Assistance Program (ELAP), which compensates producers for disaster losses not covered under other disaster programs

Second, I've kept the pressure on the U.S. Department of Agriculture to cut through red tape, and quickly release resources to help producers. Specifically, I've successfully gotten USDA to:

Release funds through the Emergency Conservation Program to help producers rebuild fences lost in the Ash Creek fire
Speed up the disaster designation process, which makes emergency loans available to address producers' needs
Address feed shortages for livestock by opening conservation lands (CRP) for haying and grazing
Allow producers with expiring CRP to sell the grasses they remove to prepare the land for cropping instead of destroying it

I also pushed the Forest Service to quickly begin helping rebuild fences on forest land.

I will continue to do everything I can to help producers impacted by drought in the coming months.

Tester to Forest Service: Rebuild fences to help Montana ranchers

Senator Jon Tester is calling on the U.S. Forest Service to quickly rebuild hundreds of miles of National Forest fencing recently destroyed by Montana's record wildfires.

Tester said that without fencing, ranchers cannot control their herds and that thousands of animals are roaming onto private property.

Click here to read more . . .

Baucus and Tester secure emergency resources for Montana farms and ranchers hit by drought, wildfire

With a growing number of Montana counties impacted by historic drought, Senators Jon Tester and Max Baucus are calling on the USDA to ramp up assistance for Montana producers.

Tester and Baucus want the USDA to temporarily allow haying and grazing on lands set aside under the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) in areas of the state where the drought has not been as pronounced.

Click here to read more . . .

Tester, Baucus announce expanded haying and grazing for Montana farmers and ranchers

Senators Jon Tester and Max Baucus announced that Montana farmers and ranchers will be able to buy and sell hay from expiring Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) land to help address the state's feed shortage.

Click here to read more . . .

 WWW.TESTER.SENATE.GOV   |         UNSUBSCRIBE