[montanafood_ag] Ode to Dillon: Self-sufficiency, Rural Fridays, and New Beginnings

Crissie McMullan crissiem at ncat.org
Thu Sep 22 13:29:52 MDT 2011

Today Leah Grunzke, serving with UM Western in Dillon, shares blog three in our weekly series of updates directly from Montana FoodCorps members.

"Dillon, oh Dillon. Home to bountiful wildlife, a lavish watershed, heart-stirring mountains and a million miles of untold backroads to explore, you’re enough to make an outdoor-lovin’ gal giddy. As a Montana FoodCorps member working to connect UM Western’s Campus Community Garden with Beaverhead county K-12 kids, I’m pleased to be serving in this community of 4,000 or so folks, nearly all of whom seem to share a relaxed, can-do attitude, a hearty work ethic and a resilient pride in their community and their land. In the few months I’ve been here, exploring the possibilities for community gardening and farm-to-school connections, I’ve run into consistently spirited enthusiasm.

How important is buying local to us? Hugely important.

Incorporate new healthy foods curriculum into my jam-packed teaching schedule? Yes ma’am.

Community garden? Of course I want to help! Where do I start?

Dillon’s an easy place to fall in love with.

For many, it's also a hard place to get by...."

Read more, and enjoy lovely pics, at www.montanafoodcorps.blogspot.com

FoodCorps for Rural Montana Project Director
National FoodCorps Co-Founder
www.growmontana.ncat.org
www.foodcorps.org
406.531.5162