[montanafood_ag] Celebreate Food Day, Oct 24th, at the Buttercup Cafe, Missoula

Finch, Ian ian.finch at mso.umt.edu
Mon Oct 17 09:21:06 MDT 2011

MISSOULA, MT
The Buttercup Market and Café, 4-6pm
1221 Helen Avenue
www.thebuttercupmarket.com<http://www.thebuttercupmarket.com>

On October 24, 2011, thousands of events will inspire Americans to improve their diets and fix our food system-Don't be left out!

Join the Community Food and Agriculture Coalition of Missoula County, Kamut International, University Dining Services of UM, and The Buttercup Market and Cafe for a local apple tasting and community dialogue about barriers to small business development and the vision that we as Missoulians have for our food system.

Food Day is a national movement to bring people together to discuss ways to:

·        Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods

·        Support sustainable farms and limit subsidies to big agribusiness

·        Expand access to food and alleviate hunger

·        Protect the environment and animals by reforming factory farms

·        Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids

·        Support fair woorking conditions for food and farm workers.

The discussion at Buttercup Market is the first of a continuing dialogue about how we in Montana can translate the above Food Day principles into our local priorities.  The discussion will be kicked off by Buttercup owner Molly Galusha, where she'll describe the challenges she has faced as a small business owner and food system activist.

We hope to bring together the people and organizations that have a stake in our local food system to discuss these important goals and find innovative, inspiring solutions to the challenges we face.

This is only possible if you make your voice heard!

For more info on this event, contact the Missoula Community Food & Agriculture Coalition:  cfacinfo at missoulacfac.org<mailto:cfacinfo at missoulacfac.org> or call Bonnie at  880-0543.

More events are happening on the UM campus for Food Day, October 24th.  Check out life.umt.edu/dining or call Ian at 243-4042.

The event at Buttercup Market and Café is free and open to the public - refreshments and apple cider will be provided.
It's time to eat real, Missoula!

Ian Finch
Farm to College Coordinator
University Dining Services