[montanafood_ag] Montana FoodCorps Member Becky Naab Rocks Out with Root Vegetables

Crissie McMullan crissiem at ncat.org
Wed Oct 12 10:55:45 MDT 2011

Today Becky Naab, serving with Livingston School District's Farm to School Program, shares blog six in our weekly series of updates directly from Montana FoodCorps members.

"Twenty second graders burst into rowdy applause as I entered the classroom. I felt like a rock star, but instead of an electric guitar, I wielded garden-fresh carrots, radishes, potatoes, parsnips and turnips.

Of course, even a rock star doesn’t build a fan base overnight, and I’ve been lucky that I’ve already had the chance to work with each of the five second grade classrooms in the Livingston School District once a week since the first day of school. For me, the fact that I have this direct time in the classroom is pretty powerful, because I get to spend 25 minutes every day teaching kids about food, where it comes from, and why it’s good to eat healthy, and locally-grown. Sometimes I feel like I’m training mini FoodCorps volunteers. But what really gets me excited is the fact that every week, every single second grader in Livingston has math, science, reading, gym, art, music, and FARM TO SCHOOL!"

Read more, see fun pics, and find out which root vegetables second graders prefer over potatoes at www.montanafoodcorps.org

FoodCorps for Rural Montana Project Director
National FoodCorps Co-Founder
www.montanafoodcorps.blogspot.com
www.foodcorps.org
406.531.5162