[montanafood_ag] food policy ideas

Crissie McMullan crissiem at ncat.org
Mon Jan 25 13:16:43 MST 2010

Hi all,
It's that time of year again. The Grow Montana steering committee is beginning to explore our 2011 legislative priorities. We work on community economic development policies that support sustainable Montana-owned food production, processing, and distribution, and that improve all of our citizens' access to Montana foods.

If you have ideas for policies, or even specific legislation, that we should explore for 2011, please pass them on to me via this email address (crissiem at ncat.org). We rely on practitioners--farmers, ranchers, food buyers, activists, nutritionists, processors, etc--to give us ideas and directions for what we most need to do to build a Montana-based food system.

Policy not your thing? No problem. But think about what challenges you are running into as you work towards a Montana-based food system--having trouble finding affordable land? Can't figure out how to tap into public institutional markets? No access to credit for a food venture? Often, there are policy barriers or opportunities embedded within these challenges. So even if you don't know exactly what the policy issue is, just send your thoughts on over, and we'll see what we can find out.

I really look forward to hearing from you!

All the best,
Crissie McMullan

Grow Montana
www.growmontana.ncat.org