No subject

Mon Dec 6 08:42:40 MST 2010

House Approves Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act=20

Bill Awaits President=E2=80=99s Signature=20

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 2, 2010=20

CONTACT: Kathy Mulvey, 202-543-8602=20

WASHINGTON, DC =E2=80=94The House of Representatives today approved the Hea=
lthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (S. 3307), paving the way for President Obama to=
 sign the legislation. The bill will improve school meals, support farmers =
through Farm to School programs, address skyrocketing obesity rates, and fe=
ed more hungry children.=20

The Community Food Security Coalition, whose members have worked tirelessly=
 in support of child nutrition legislation in the 111 th Congress, applauds=
 the passage of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. As a co-host of the Nati=
onal Farm to School Network, CFSC has been particularly active in advocatin=
g new funding for Farm to School programs.=20

"Today, we celebrate a truly historic moment. We thank the sponsors of this=
 legislation for providing leadership and including a first-time investment=
 in Farm to School programs in the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. F=
unding this innovative and effective program will benefit America=E2=80=99s=
 children and farmers through providing healthy foods and creating new mark=
ets,=E2=80=9D stated Anupama Joshi, Co-Director of the National Farm to Sch=
ool Network.=20

=E2=80=9CBy connecting schools with local farmers, the bill creates a win-w=
in for our nation=E2=80=99s children and farmers and builds on a proven met=
hod of combating childhood obesity. We congratulate Congress for providing =
tens of millions of dollars for Farm to School programs,=E2=80=9D stated Ma=
rion Kalb, Co-Director of the National Farm to School Network.=20

With one in four children in this country at risk of hunger, and one in thr=
ee obese or overweight, S. 3307 is a step in the right direction. However, =
the improvements it provides are paid for partly through cuts to food stamp=
s. CFSC, its members and allies are committed to working with champions in =
the White House and Congress on timely measures to restore food stamp fundi=
ng and protect federal nutrition programs from further cuts.=20

###=20

The Community Food Security Coalition catalyzes food systems that are healt=
hy, sustainable, just, and democratic by building community voice and capac=
ity for change. The coalition=E2=80=99s diverse membership includes more th=
an 400 social and economic justice, anti-hunger, environmental, community d=
evelopment, sustainable agriculture, community gardening, and other organiz=
ations.=20
_____________________________________=20

Megan Lott, MPH, RD=20
Associate Policy Director=20

Community Food Security Coalition=20
National Farm to School Network=20

Washington DC Office=20
202-543-8602=20
megan at foodsecurity.org=20

--=20
National Center for Appropriate Technology=20
National FoodCorps Planning Team Member=20
www.food-corps.org=20
406.531.5162=20

------=_Part_1203_23977970.1291394063566

div style=3D'font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000'=
>From the Community Food Security Coalition:<br><div>
><b><span style=3D"font-size: 14pt;">House Approves
><b><span style=3D"font-size: 14pt;">Bill Awaits
/span><b><span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
; </span>Kathy
Mulvey,
        202-543-8602</p>
        House of Representatives today approved the Healthy, Hunger-Free
        Kids Act (S.
        3307), paving the way for President Obama to sign the
        legislation. The bill
        will improve school meals, support farmers through Farm to
        School programs,
        address skyrocketing obesity rates, and feed more hungry
        children.</p>
        members have
        worked tirelessly in support of child nutrition legislation in
        the 111<sup>th</sup>
        Congress, applauds the passage of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids
        Act. As a
        co-host of the National Farm to School Network, CFSC has been
        particularly
        active in advocating new funding for Farm to School programs.</p>
        We thank
        the sponsors of this legislation for providing leadership and
        including a
        first-time investment in Farm to School programs in the Healthy,
        Hunger-Free
        Kids Act of 2010. Funding this innovative and effective program
        will benefit
        America=E2=80=99s children and farmers through providing healthy fo=
ods
        and creating new
        markets,=E2=80=9D stated Anupama Joshi, Co-Director of the National=
 Farm
        to School
        Network.</p>
ers,
        the bill creates
        a win-win for our nation=E2=80=99s children and farmers and builds =
on a
        proven method
        of combating childhood obesity. We congratulate Congress for
        providing tens of millions
        of dollars for Farm to School programs,=E2=80=9D stated Marion Kalb=
,
        Co-Director of the
        National Farm to School Network.</p>
        this country at risk of hunger, and one in three obese or
        overweight, S. 3307
        is a step in the right direction. However, the improvements it
        provides are
        paid for partly through cuts to food stamps. CFSC, its members
        and allies are
        committed to working with champions in the White House and
        Congress on timely
        measures to restore food stamp funding and protect federal
        nutrition programs
        from further cuts.</p>
>&nbsp;</p>
>###</p>
>&nbsp;</p>
          Security Coalition catalyzes food systems that are healthy,
          sustainable, just,
          and democratic by building community voice and capacity for
          change. The
          coalition=E2=80=99s diverse membership includes more than 400 soc=
ial
          and economic
          justice, anti-hunger, environmental, community development,
          sustainable
          agriculture, community gardening, and other organizations.</i></p=

      Megan Lott, MPH, RD<br>
      Associate Policy Director<br>
      Community Food Security Coalition<br>
      National Farm to School Network<br>